The pain of a pinched nerve can range from annoying to downright excruciating. If you have a pinched nerve, you may be able to relieve some of the symptoms naturally by making lifestyle adjustments and seeking chiropractic care. At Total Wellness Center in Aurora, we frequently help patients with pinched nerves, and we’ve put together some information on how chiropractic care can help with the symptoms of nerve compression.
Symptoms and Causes of Pinched Nerves
The nervous system is responsible for sending messages from your body to your brain and back again. It runs all the way through your body. From your spine, it branches out to your arms, legs, fingers, and toes. If a nerve gets pinched or pressed on by a joint, muscle, or tendon next to it, it can cause uncomfortable symptoms, including:
- Pain, which may radiate along the nerve
- A prickling or tingling feeling in the affected part of the body
- A feeling of numbness or a sensation that the limb has fallen asleep
Sciatica is one common condition that is caused by a pinched nerve. Carpal tunnel syndrome is another. You can get a pinched nerve anywhere in your body, but they most often occur in the lower back and neck.
Relieving the Pain of a Pinched Nerve
If you have a pinched nerve, here are a few things you can do to relieve the symptoms.
- See a chiropractor to take the pressure off the nerve.
- Stretch gently when you feel discomfort.
- Avoid sitting or standing in one position for too long.
- Use an ice pack or hot water bottle to soothe painful pinched nerves.
- Adjust your posture to avoid slouching or twisting your spine.
Our Aurora Chiropractor Can Treat Your Pinched Nerves
At Total Wellness Center, we believe that the right care can go a long way towards easing or even getting rid of pinched nerve pain. Our chiropractor frequently helps Aurora residents manage their pain and live healthy, active lives. If you’d like to make an appointment, give us a call today at (303) 627-7995.